Monday, February 24, 2014

Journal 15: November 3, 1999 through Juoly 4th, 2000. November 3, 1999. Visit w/ Tom in Pittsburgh eagerly awaited is now past. Good memories: sitting on the couch together reading. Having beers at the bar in Homestead. Sitting on the "deck" under the canopy of grape leaves w/ a few bunches of grapes still hanging on. Camping at Ohiopyle. Sitting by the fire. Sitting in neighboring stalls in the restroom, yaking away. Walking on the abandoned railway trail, swimming bare-assed in the cold/icy Yawk; then sitting on the rocks like lizards drying off, soaking up the sun. Meeting Tom's coworkers: Dana, Carey, Dennis and the barber, Carl. Checking out Pittsburgh connections to the past: 110 Dallas Ave (where Mom, Dad and Diane lived with Grandma and Grandpa Hassler when Dad got out of WWII and was going to school at Pitt for Petroleum Engineering), Homewood Cemetery (were the Grandma and Grandpa Page are buried.) Driving around some of the areas where Tome works and lives: southside, the slopes, Allentown, Squirrel (Town) Hill. Walking to get things: bagels and coffee, groceries, a movie. Seeing Tom's abode and getting some time to make a sketch through the window in his "office." Sitting here eating dinner, writing and listening to music and reflecting on the weekend is a good thing. I'm glad to take time like this. I realize the things I enjoyed most had to do with just being together. Walking in the rain under partially helpful Pirates umbrella was particularly enjoyable. The rain was still warm and knowing that soon I would be able to dry off made the experience less of a dash through the drops and more a stroll. I liked that. Tom's a good guy. I have to remember to tell people to move over so I can sit next to them instead of parking myself solo, then getting uncomfortable and kicking them off my couch/bed under the ruse of feeling tired. Why do I throw up obstacles to being "close" company w/ the people (friends/family) I'm visiting. Just because I'm sitting close doesn't mean I'm wanting sex; it just means I like being close. After the visit w/ Becky I realized that I like touching. The beauty I'm now realizing is that just because your touching someone doesn't mean it's a sexual thing. It also can be a loving thing. I'll have to remember this when I'm in NC for Thanksgiving. A good opportunity to take advantage of the family bonds and loving for touching.

1 comment:

  1. Back cover of journal:
    12/4/99
    Check on overwinter experiments

    NW - screened plots look okay. all 6 bags in line but on surface of sediment. forgot to look for boxes - boxes okay 12/5/99.

    ACC - screened plots okay. Could see only last 3 bags (not fouled w/ algae).

    TMH - screens okay, boxes okay, bags? 10 on surface, 6 - last 3 from north buried in sediment.

    NAP - screens okay, bags - w/ diagram.

    LM - Bags - buoy still in place, water to deep to sea bags, plots okay, boxes - moved from original site, 4 still in H2O, 6 on beach - 1 w/ live clams siphons out.

    Malapropism - slaughter a cliche eg: water over the bridge.

    ReplyDelete